Creating the aqua boy or diving diva your pup sometimes needs some preparation. In order for a dog to learn to enjoy the process of swimming it’s helpful to make the process safe and fun. Pool safety for pets is important in case of accidental dips.
Paws For A Minute® H2o – Swimming 101
- Get. A leash, have a collar on your pup and purchase a doggie lifejacket.
- Play. Use a hose and begin water play with that first. If your dog loves the water play your in good shape in creating the swimmer.
- The Leash. It helps guide your pup to know where to get out and gives you control to guide vs coax.
- Life Jacket. I know many think that’s overkill but it helps your new swimmer with being buoyant and therefore learning to enjoy being the otter. Not using one, you run the risk of a bad experience. Best dog life jacket: Outward Hound.
- How. Lift your pup into the pool and gently let him go. Use the leash and your voice to guide and show him the stairs and where to get out of the pool.
- Safety: Even if your dog doesn’t end up to be Aqua Boy – always good to teach how to swim and where to get out in case of an accidental unintended dip.